100th Global Mazda MX-5 Cup Race Car Sold
- 100th Battery Tender Global Mazda MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich Tires Race Car Destined for the Monticello Motor Club -
IRVINE, Calif. (June 22, 2016) – While production street cars are produced in the hundreds per day, race cars are typically handcrafted one-at-a-time, over many months. The new Mazda MX-5 Cup race car hit a significant milestone this week with the 100th car ordered. More than 70 have been delivered in less than seven months.
More than 40 Cup cars are competing in the Battery Tender Global Mazda MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich Tires. While the MX-5 Cup teams were competing at Road America this past weekend, the 100th order came in, this one from the Monticello Motor Club (MMC), the world’s premier private race track and country club located 90 minutes from New York City. MMC currently boasts the largest fleet of MX-5 Cup cars, and has its own member race series utilizing the MX-5. The 100th car is scheduled to be delivered in August and will be added to MMC’s fleet of rental racecars available to its members.
John Doonan, director of motorsports, Mazda North American Operations noted that, “When we announced this program, we set our target at 50 cars in the U.S. in 2016. To double that goal in less than a year is a huge endorsement by our customers that they see this car as the best value in sports car racing today. We’re thrilled that the growing market for track day cars is seeing the MX-5 Cup car as an ideal purchase.”
The MX-5 Cup cars start as complete MX-5 road cars from the Mazda Hiroshima, Japan factory before being transported to engineering development partner Long Road Racing in Statesville, North Carolina for the final assembly into a race car. The process includes the removal of the convertible top and the installation of a full roll cage. More than 200 motorsports-specific parts are added to the car while the engine is a stock, sealed Mazda SKYACTIV 2.0 Liter.
- Nov 4, 2014 Global MX-5 Cup announced at 2014 SEMA Show.
- April 30, 2015
- Public testing of MX-5 Cup prototypes begins.
- Oct 1, 2015 Price announcement of $53,000 made. First orders received.
- Nov 2, 2015 Production begins.
- Nov 21, 2015 First production car completed.
- Dec 5-6, 2015 First four production cars compete in the Thunderhill 25 Hour race, collectively completing the equivalent of 133 MX-5 Cup 45-minute races in one weekend.
- Feb 3, 2016 BFGoodrich Tires and RAYS Engineering announced as partners
- April 29, 2016 Forty cars take the green flag at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in the season opening race of the 2016 Battery Tender Global Mazda MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich Tires. Patrick Gallagher earned the distinction of becoming the first ever Global MX-5 Cup race winner.
- June 17, 2016 100th Car Ordered.
The Battery Tender MX-5 Cup is the signature spec series for the Mazda Road to 24 (#MRT24), the sports car counterpart to the Mazda Road to Indy (#MRTI). On both paths, Mazda-powered champions earn a Mazda scholarship to advance their career. The MX-5 Cup champion earns a $200,000 scholarship.